Special Message from the Commodore
Recently, Deb Whitehorse sent out a membership renewal reminder. The IDNIYRA By-laws define the membership year as November 1 through October 31st and only members in good standing may vote on Association affairs, per the IDNIYRA Constitution.
In the last column in Runner Tracks I said that we hoped to have simultaneous postal votes on the EPIC Agreement in North America and Europe this November. The new IDNIYRA EU is now operational and accepting memberships, so the simultaneous postal vote will happen! You should expect to receive ballots about the second week of November and will have to return them to the IDNIYRA Secretary on or before 29 November. Note well, to be counted, your ballot must be back to the Secretary, not just postmarked, by 29 November. This is a shorter turn-around than normal for postal ballots so that the result of the ballot can be reflected in the 2020 yearbook if the measure passes.
So … if you would like to receive a ballot to vote on the EPIC Agreement, please ensure that you renew your membership. The easiest way is on-line, at https://www.idniyra.org/membership/. The best 26 bucks you’ve ever spent!
Background: In 2018, the North American and European Governing Committees jointly developed two documents, the EPIC (Established Procedures for Iceboat Competition) Agreement and the Regatta Management Agreement. We then published them in Runner Tracks to enable member feedback. These agreements (published in full at here ), if approved by the membership, would satisfy a several goals:
- That we continue to sail the same DN in both North America and Europe
- That we organize racing the same way in both North America and Europe
- That we strengthen our trans-Atlantic relationships so that the DN continues to be the strongest iceboat class world-wide
- That we replace the current Specifications Management System so that we can vote electronically on all matters, including technical specifications
- That membership in the class be on the same basis in North America and Europe, i.e., an individual paying a fee to IDNIYRA or IDNIYRA EU.
If a 2/3rds majority of IDNIYRA and IDNIYRA EU member ballots approve the EPIC and Regatta Management Agreements, this will be the last postal vote conducted by the DN Class.
Warren Nethercote KC3786 Commodore IDNIYRA