U.S. Nationals Information Page
The 2021 U.S. Nationals has been called on for Black Lake in northern Michigan. Online registration ends on Monday, January 25 at 7 PM ET. First day of racing is on Tuesday, January 26. See Schedule of Events below.
WHAT TO KNOW:
- Online registration is mandatory. Register and pay online at this link.
- Proof of Insurance: Please either upload when you register or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Text Notifications: Competitors will receive updates via text messaging. There’s no need to download any app. Please plan ahead and bring your phone to the race course. A spare recharging battery can also be helpful and perhaps your reading glasses.
After each race is scored, a photo of the line up sheet for the next race will be sent out via text messaging to discourage congregating around the competitors and Race Committee. The line up sheet will be posted but competitors must observe social distancing. Please do not crowd around the line up sheet and Race Committee.
- If you have registered and paid for the regatta and are NOT coming, please let us know so that you won’t be added to the draws. We are assuming that you are attending if you we don’t hear from you.
Link to ice report video.
Via Vice Commodore Jody Kjoller:
January 23, 2021: No wind today so we ran and pushed for miles. A working seam cuts the lake in about half. We went left out of the launch. 2 took one shore line, 2 took the other. Tons of room to sail. Small areas of stiff snow but not hard to push thru and separated by almost a mile for the most part. Surface is about 1/2 – 3/4 very textured snow ice that is very easy to cut through to a pretty decent hard surface. Barely a dusting of snow. Easily raced in 6+ mph wind. Overall I’d rate it a 6 (or a Maumee Bay 9).
UPDATE 25 January: There is a better launch for those with big trailers at Onaway State Park.
Eisen Trail, Grant Township, MI
Plus code: FPQP+66 Black Lake Bluffs, Michigan
Use caution when accessing the launch. It’s a very narrow, icy, and curvy road. Use extreme caution. Light single axle trailers can be rolled on but please spread out.
1. Best Western River Terrace
847 S Main Street
Cheboygan, Michigan 49721
$85 double queen
2. Waterway Inn
Indian River, MI 49749
3. Northwoods Lodge
390 S. STRAITS HWY.
INDIAN RIVER, MI 49749
4. Star Gate
4646 S. STRAITS HWY.,
INDIAN RIVER, MICHIGAN 49749
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
Monday, January 25 7 PM: Registration Closes. No exceptions.
Tuesday, January 26
9 AM: Skippers Meeting in the pits
10 AM: First mini-qualifier
Following needed days: Races start at 9 AM
Awards follow immediately after the final race is completed and results are tabulated