We still have one venue in play about an hour north of Madison that reportedly survived last night’s weather quite well. The snow was absorbed into the moisture on the surface and has frozen on top of the 5” of original ice. It has not formed into shell ice, but the surface is reported to be somewhat pebbly. Even now, the new layer of ice is solid under the footsteps of a 200+ lb. walker. Temperatures will be in the teens this evening, which should further firm things up. The sheet will be inspected and sailed tomorrow by a highly experienced racer and ice checker. There’s potential for a small amount of rain/show (less than 1”) on Friday. Weekend wind forecast looks very good—10-20 mph both days.
Presently, there doesn’t appear to be any other sailable ice in the region. The long-range forecast does not look favorable for forming new ice on the many lakes that returned to a liquid state or have yet to freeze. This venue will not be available to the DNs the weekend of Jan. 11-12, and after that, we are bumping up against our North American Championship, the Gold Cup, and also the Northwest and ISA for sailors who also race in other fleets. If we postpone, we’re likely off until March, and at that point, we may not get it in at all. SO, if we can make it happen this weekend with acceptable conditions, we’ll likely go for it.
That’s what we know for now. Be ready!
Western Region Rear Commodore
At this point, we appear to have limited possibilities for a Western Lakes Championship for this weekend (January 4-5, 2020). We have not ruled it out, as we have two potential venues that are moving in the right direction, but also some rain/snow potential for late in the week. We’ll continue to monitor and keep you informed. In the meantime, if you have any other possibilities, please serve them up to me (dhearnUS5352@gail.com) and Bob Cummins (email@example.com).
Western Region Rear Commodore
The Online Magazine of the International DN Ice Yacht Racing Association
It’s been a busy December but Runner Tracks has finally arrived on your virtual doorstep. It is a real pleasure to have IDNIYRA Commodore, Warren Nethercote KC3786, featured on the cover. He had a much better Great Western Challenge than last year! Thanks to all who contributed to this issue.
IN THIS ISSUE
- Specification Proposal by Bob Gray US65
- Great Western Challenge Report by Shawnee Kay Spillson
- Answers About Proposals by Peter Hamrak M53
- Sail Vladivostok by Joerg Bohn G737
Runner Tracks is brought to you by these fine sponsors:
Via Central Region Commodore Rob Holman:
The 2019 Central Region Championship has been cancelled. Stay tuned for the 2020 Centrals.
Via IDNIYRA European Commodore Attila Pataki:
We did not provide possibility for online registration for American sailors, but would appreciate if all who intend to came over would drop an email to me with the copy to Niklas and Godie, indicating their name and sail number.
It is necessary to prepare the proper stickers to all. The entry will be done on the site at the check-in for a single entry fee.
Have your runners sharpened! Central Lakes Rear Commodore Rob Holman has tentatively called on the 2019 Central Region Championships for December 28-29, 2019 for somewhere in the Central Region (likely Michigan). The ice will be scouted this week. Final confirmation with more details will be posted on Thursday, December 26, 2019 by 6 PM ET.