After the 2023 IDNIYRA World Championship, a group of participants took up a collection to recognize PRO Pat Heppert’s exceptional dedication. Daniel Hearn selected action shots of Pat, captured by Cathy Firmbach, and commissioned a company to create an awe-inspiring 3D photo montage.
Yesterday, Pat was presented with his gift at Daniel’s shop, where he joined a gathering of fellow ice sailors busy preparing Nite masts. During his visit, he also took the chance to organize the DN Western Region equipment, a significant portion of which had been generously contributed by retired PRO Dan Heaney. Pat will join us again for the North American Championship on February 25 – March 2, 2024.
Getting the plank aligned.
A sure sign of ice, another Swap Meet is scheduled! Meet local DNers and find your next ride in the Minneapolis area.
MINNESOTA SWAP MEET
Hosted by Tim Carlson at Sailcrafters Loft and Rigging.
Date: Saturday, November 4.
Time: 9 AM – Noon CT
Location: 7450 Oxford Street
St. Louis Park, MN 55426
2022 Swap Meet at Delavan Yacht Club
A swap meet is a great place to shop for DN iceboats and connect with the ice sailing community. The Green Lake Ice Yacht Club will host the annual Wisconsin Swap Meet on Sunday, October 22, 2023 from 9 AM to noon at the Town Square. More details will be forthcoming.
Stay tuned for swap meet dates from the Gull Lake Ice Yacht Club in Michigan, the New England Ice Yachting Association, and Sailcrafters in Minnesota.
Announcing the DN Senior Shuffle Regatta!
It’s the first, maybe annual, no-running regatta for the “more seasoned” DN sailors. It will take place the three days following the Western Regional Championships, hopefully on the same ice.
- January 8 – 10, 2024, the three days after the DN Western Region Championship, which is scheduled for January 6 – 7.
- Open to Seniors (50-59), Masters (60-69) and Grand Masters (70+) who will race under Shuffle Rules with one start.
- Open to “aspiring” Seniors (49 or younger) who will also race under Shuffle Rules with a separate start.
WHAT ARE THE SHUFFLE RULES?
- No running. Not at the start. Not during a race. No track stars allowed in a Shuffle race!
- Starting positions will be determined, in advance, by random draw for every race. No one is advantaged or disadvantaged with a starting position based on their previous race performance. It’s all luck of the draw.
- Racers must start with one foot on their plank, and are limited to five kicks.
- Racers must stay in their boats unless they come to a complete stop during a race. In that event, a racer will have one additional 5-kick opportunity to complete a race. A second stop is an automatic DNF.
- No more than 4 races which count on any one day. Scrub racing may continue after official races for any who are interested.
Maybe we’ll award prizes…maybe we won’t. But what we do know, is that this is all about fun and camaraderie.
- Oh, yeah. And that means no protests. We’re going to race like a Wisconsin intersection. “You go. No, you go. Ohhhh, please, I insist der my friend. Oh, cripes, tanks, der good buddy!”
- $50 registration fee to cover prizes and extras
- All registration will be online. If you’re tech-challenged, ask a youngster for help.
- Because we’re so green, race documents will only be published online.
Photo: Joe Berger
Mark your calendars for the 2024 DN Western Region Championship, a two day regatta sailed on the best ice in either Minnesota, Wisconsin, the UP of Michigan, Iowa, Illinois, or Indiana.
2024 DN Western Region Championship
Dates: January 6 – 7, 2024
Location: Best ice in the Western Region
Information: This website – idniyra.org
2024IDNIYRA RANK LIST
2023 World Championship. Photo: Hannah Noll / Harken
Time to start Thinking Ice, the 2024 International Ranking list has been calculated and published. See it here. The rank list is used to seed regatta fleets at continental events. Thanks to Ann Foeller for her assistance.
From the IDNIYRA Regatta Management Agreement (RMA)
14. DN Split Fleet Ranking
The Continental Secretaries shall maintain a fleet ranking. This ranking shall be updated yearly and shall be published by October 15 using regatta results from the previous two GCs (Gold Cup), NACs (North American Championships), and ECs (European Championships). This ranking shall be the lessor of the following:
• Best finish in the Gold fleet in the previous two World Championships, North American Championships, and European Championships.
• 22 plus your best finish in the Silver fleet in the previous two WCs, NACs, and ECs.
• 40 plus your best finish in the Bronze fleet in the previous two WCs, NACs, and ECs.
• 58 plus your best finish in the Aluminum fleet in the previous two WCs, NACs, and ECs. In the event of equal ranking for more than one sailor, the ranking which is based on the most recent race result will be considered higher.
CURRENT CONTINENTAL RANKING REGATTAS
2020 North American Championship
2022 World Championship
2022 European Championship
2023 World Championship
2023 North American Championship
2023 European Championship
All corrections must be submitted to the respective Continental Secretary by November 15. The list will be final on December 1.
Questions about your rank? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org